Thursday, January 19, 2012

Too much adventure!

Last Sunday was a long session with some fun stuff and some other stuff. Brian was already tacked up and riding out on the trails when I arrived. I spent about 30 minutes inside with Panda, practicing transitions and doing jumps to a 2' vertical. Her jumps were really nice today. I did rollbacks into the wall and did them at the canter for the first time. Pretty sloppy but she got the concept.

Outside we both did short canters in the outdoor arena and Panda did barrels at the trot. Then we went into the cornfield across the street and had a nice long canter across a field that is at least 80 acres in size. We let them walk along the far side near the woods and both horses spooked hard when we flushed some deer. I could not sit it and ended up on the ground with one hand holding the reins. Panda kept rearing and tore the reins from my hand after a few seconds. Being the faithful companion that she is, she took one look at me and headed for home. Brian took off at a lope to go catch her while I began my walk of shame towards the barn.

I did not expect it, but after ten minutes Brian came trotting triumphantly back with Panda in tow. Way to go, Brian! I hopped back on Panda, no worse for the wear, and we walked both of the horses back to where they spooked and let them look around. Hopefully they both learned something, although it sure would have helped if I had stayed on her back!

On Wednesday I went over to the barn to do a little groundwork and to work on Panda's feet. They looked good but they seem to grow pretty fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment